Are Money Trees Toxic to Dogs


Money trees are a popular indoor plant🪴, known for their unique braided trunk and shiny green leaves. They’re also believed to bring good luck and prosperity, which is why they’re a common sight in homes and businesses.

However, if you’re a dog🐶 owner, you might be concerned about the safety of your furry friend around money trees🎋.

In this article✍️, I’ll explore whether money trees are toxic to dogs, what symptoms to look out for, and what to do if your pet ingests any part of the plant🪴.

Are Money Trees Toxic to Dogs

Are Money Trees Toxic to Dogs

The short answer is no, money trees are not toxic to dogs. In fact, they’re considered safe for pets, including cats and horses.

The money tree plant, also known as Pachira aquatica, belongs to the Malvaceae family and is not known to contain any toxic substances that could harm your dog.

However, this doesn’t mean that your dog can safely eat or chew on the plant. Money trees are not edible, and if ingested, they can cause some digestive issues in dogs.

Ingesting large amounts of the plant may also cause blockages in the digestive system, which can be dangerous and require veterinary care.

Symptoms to Look Out for

If your dog ingests any part of the money tree plant, you should monitor them closely for any signs of discomfort or illness. Some of the symptoms to look out for include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Abdominal pain

If your dog displays any of these symptoms, you should contact your veterinarian immediately.

What to Do if Your Dog Ingests Money Tree

Are Money Trees Toxic to Dogs

If you suspect that your dog has ingested any part of the money tree plant, you should take the following steps:

  1. Remove any remaining plant material from your dog’s mouth and paws.
  2. Contact your veterinarian immediately and describe the situation in detail.
  3. Follow your veterinarian’s instructions, which may include bringing your dog in for an examination or inducing vomiting at home.

It’s essential to act quickly if your dog ingests any part of the money tree plant. Delayed treatment can lead to more severe symptoms and complications.

Tips for Keeping Your Dog Safe Around Money Trees

While money trees are not toxic to dogs, it’s still essential to take precautions to keep your furry friend safe. Here are some tips to help you:

  1. Keep money trees out of reach of your dog.
  2. Consider using barriers to prevent your dog from accessing the plant.
  3. Train your dog to stay away from the plant and discourage them from chewing on it.
  4. Monitor your dog’s behavior around the plant and intervene if necessary.


In conclusion, if you’re a dog owner and have a money tree at home, you can rest assured that it’s safe for your furry friend.

While money trees are not toxic to dogs, it’s still essential to take precautions to prevent any accidental ingestion of the plant.

If your Dog does ingest any part of the money tree, it’s crucial to act quickly and seek veterinary care.

As a responsible pet owner, it’s always a good idea to research any plants or foods that you bring into your home to ensure they are safe for your pets.

While money trees may not be toxic, there are many other plants and substances that can be harmful to your furry friend.

By taking the necessary precautions and staying informed, you can keep your Dog Guide healthy and happy.

Are Money Trees Toxic to Dogs – FAQs

Can dogs be affected by Money Trees?

Yes, Money Trees (Pachira aquatica) are considered non-toxic to dogs.

What makes Money Trees safe for dogs?

Money Trees do not contain any known toxic substances that can harm dogs.

Are all parts of the Money Tree safe for dogs to be around?

Yes, all parts of the Money Tree, including leaves and stems, are non-toxic to dogs.

What are the common symptoms if a dog ingests a Money Tree?

If a dog ingests parts of a Money Tree, they are unlikely to show any symptoms of poisoning.

Can certain dog breeds be more sensitive to Money Tree plants?

As Money Trees are non-toxic, sensitivity is not a concern for any dog breed.

Can Money Trees cause allergies in dogs?

Some dogs may be sensitive to certain plant species, but Money Trees are not known to cause allergies.

Is it safe to keep a Money Tree indoors with dogs?

Yes, it’s safe to have a Money Tree indoors as it poses no threat to dogs.

Can Money Trees be harmful to other pets like cats?

Money Trees are also considered non-toxic to cats and other common household pets.

Are there any pet-safe alternatives to Money Trees for home decor?

Yes, there are many pet-friendly plants you can choose from to decorate your home.

Can dogs chew on Money Tree leaves without any concern?

Dogs can chew on Money Tree leaves without facing any toxic effects.

Are Money Trees beneficial for dogs in any way?

While Money Trees are not harmful, they do not provide any specific benefits to dogs.

Leave a Comment