Are Mushrooms Toxic to Dogs


Mushrooms are a popular food ingredient, and you might have heard about their various health benefits. But what about dogs🐕?  Unfortunately, the answer is no.

Some mushrooms contain toxic compounds that can be harmful and even fatal to dogs🐶. As a responsible pet owner, it’s essential to know which mushrooms🍄 are toxic to dogs, their symptoms and what to do in case your furry friend accidentally ingests them.

Are Mushrooms Toxic to Dogs

Which Mushrooms Are Toxic to Dogs

Not all mushrooms are toxic to dogs, but some species contain harmful compounds such as ibotenic acid and muscimol, which can cause severe damage to your dog’s liver, kidney, and central nervous system.

Here are some of the most common toxic mushrooms found in North America:

  • Amanita phalloides (death cap)
  • Amanita muscaria (fly agaric)
  • Galerina marginata (deadly galerina)
  • Conocybe filaris (deadly cone)
  • Chlorophyllum molybdites (false parasol)

What Are the Symptoms of Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs

Mushroom poisoning symptoms can range from mild to severe depending on the type of mushroom ingested and the amount consumed.

The symptoms may not appear immediately and can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 12 hours to show up. Here are some of the common symptoms of mushroom poisoning in dogs:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of appetite
  • Seizures
  • Coma

What Should You Do if Your Dog Eats Mushrooms

Are Mushrooms Toxic to Dogs

If you suspect your dog has eaten a toxic mushroom, it’s essential to act fast. The first step is to contact your veterinarian immediately.

Do not wait for symptoms to appear, as some toxic mushrooms can cause irreversible damage within hours of ingestion. In the meantime, here’s what you can do:

  • Try to identify the mushroom if possible and take a picture of it for reference.
  • Do not induce vomiting unless instructed by your veterinarian.
  • Monitor your dog’s symptoms closely and keep them calm and comfortable.
  • Be prepared to provide your veterinarian with information about your dog’s age, breed, weight, and the type and amount of mushroom ingested.

 How is Mushroom Poisoning Treated in Dogs

The treatment for mushroom poisoning in dogs depends on the type of mushroom ingested and the severity of the symptoms. If caught early, the veterinarian may induce vomiting and administer activated charcoal to absorb the toxins in the stomach.

In severe cases, hospitalization may be necessary, and the dog may require intravenous fluids, medications to control seizures, and supportive care to manage the liver and kidney damage.

How to Prevent Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs

Prevention is always better than cure, and here are some tips to keep your dog safe from mushroom poisoning:

  • Keep your dog on a leash and supervise them during walks to prevent them from ingesting unknown objects.
  • Do not allow your dog to roam in areas with wild mushrooms growing.
  • Remove any mushrooms that grow in your yard immediately.
  • If you have a mushroom garden, make sure it’s fenced off and inaccessible to your dog.


Can all mushrooms be toxic to dogs?

No, not all mushrooms are toxic to dogs. But some species contain harmful compounds that can be dangerous.

Weakness, poor coordination, tremors, vocalisations, hallucinations, disorientation, agitation, and seizures are symptoms. These poisons can harm the liver and kidneys as well, which can result in a variety of issues. In contrast to previous examples of pet mushroom poisoning, the source is frequently indoors as opposed to outside.

Leave a Comment