Are Pothos Toxic to Dogs


As a dog owner, you always want to ensure that your furry friend is safe and healthy. However, it’s not always easy to keep an eye on them, especially when they’re curious and love🥰 to explore.

One thing that can pose a danger to your dog is houseplants🏡. While some plants are safe for pets, others can be toxic and even deadly.

Pothos plants are a popular houseplant but are they safe for dogs? In this article, we’ll answer the question, “Are pothos toxic to dogs🐶” and provide some helpful tips to keep your furry friend safe.

Are Pothos Toxic to Dogs

What are Pothos Plants

Pothos (Epipremnum aureum) is a popular houseplant that’s known for its beautiful green leaves and easy care.

They are also called Devil’s Ivy because they can grow vigorously and be hard to kill, even in low-light conditions. They are great for beginner plant parents because they are easy to care for and can grow in a variety of conditions.

Are Pothos Toxic to Dogs

Yes, pothos plants are toxic to dogs. They contain insoluble calcium oxalates, which can cause severe irritation and inflammation of the mouth, tongue, and throat if ingested. Symptoms of pothos poisoning in dogs can range from mild to severe, depending on how much of the plant your dog has eaten.

What Happens if a Dog Eats Pothos

If a dog eats pothos, they will start to experience symptoms within a few hours. The symptoms of pothos poisoning in dogs include drooling, vomiting, difficulty swallowing, and pawing at the mouth.

In severe cases, the dog may have difficulty breathing, and their throat can swell shut, which can be life-threatening.

Symptoms of Pothos Poisoning in Dogs:

  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Pawing at the mouth
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Oral irritation
  • Swelling of the mouth, tongue, or throat
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Difficulty breathing

What to Do if Your Dog Eats Pothos

Are Pothos Toxic to Dogs

If you suspect that your dog has eaten pothos, you should take them to the veterinarian immediately. The vet will examine your dog and determine the best course of action.

If your dog has only ingested a small amount of the plant, the vet may recommend inducing vomiting to remove the plant from their system. In severe cases, the vet may need to perform surgery to remove any remaining plant material.

How to Keep Your Dog Safe from Pothos Plants

The best way to keep your dog safe from pothos plants is to avoid having them in your home altogether. If you do have pothos plants, make sure they are placed in areas that your dog can’t reach. You can also train your dog not to go near the plants or use a deterrent spray to keep them away.


The golden pothos, like many other poisonous plants, contains insoluble calcium oxalates, which are minute crystals that, when swallowed or crushed, act like microscopic needles. Your dog may experience excruciating discomfort, swallowing issues, vomiting, drooling, and swelling if you do this.
If your dog has severe edoema, the doctor may need to intubate him and keep giving him oxygen through intubation until he stabilises.

Leave a Comment