Are Raisins Toxic to Dogs


As a dog owner, you want nothing but the best for your furry friend. You carefully select their food and treats, making sure that they are safe and healthy☺️.

However, sometimes it’s hard to resist sharing human food with your dog🐶. One such food that may seem harmless is raisins. These dried grapes are often used as a snack or as an ingredient in baked goods, but are raisins toxic to dogs🐕?

In this article✍️, we will explore the risks of feeding your dog raisins and what you should do if your dog accidentally ingests them.

Are Raisins Toxic to Dogs

What are raisins and why are they toxic to dogs

Raisins are dried grapes that have been treated with sulfur dioxide to prevent them from spoiling. They are a popular snack for humans and are often used in baking. However, raisins can be extremely harmful to dogs.

It is not yet known why raisins are toxic to dogs, but it is believed that the dried grapes contain a toxin that can cause kidney failure in dogs. This toxin can be fatal, even in small amounts.

Symptoms of raisin toxicity in dogs

If your dog ingests raisins, they may begin to show symptoms of toxicity within a few hours. Some common symptoms of raisin toxicity in dogs include:

  • Vomiting and diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy and weakness
  • Increased thirst and urination
  • Abdominal pain and discomfort

If left untreated, these symptoms can lead to kidney failure, which can be fatal.

What should you do if your dog eats raisins

Are Raisins Toxic to Dogs

If you suspect that your dog has eaten raisins, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. Time is of the essence when it comes to treating raisin toxicity in dogs, so don’t wait for symptoms to appear.

Your veterinarian may induce vomiting to remove the raisins from your dog’s stomach, or they may recommend other treatments to prevent kidney damage.

Preventing raisin toxicity in dogs

The best way to prevent raisin toxicity in dogs is to avoid feeding them raisins altogether. You should also be careful when giving your dog other dried fruits, as they may also contain the same toxin.

Make sure to keep all foods that are toxic to dogs out of reach, and educate your family and friends about the dangers of feeding dogs human foods.


Can a small amount of raisins be harmful to dogs?

Yes, even a small amount of raisins can be toxic to dogs.

Can other dried fruits be toxic to dogs?

Yes, other dried fruits such as grapes, currants, and sultanas can also be toxic to dogs.

What should I do if I am not sure if my dog has eaten raisins?

If you are not sure if your dog has eaten raisins, contact your veterinarian immediately. They can perform tests to determine if your dog has been poisoned.


In conclusion, raisins are toxic to dogs and should be avoided at all costs. If you suspect that your dog has eaten raisins, contact your veterinarian immediately.

The symptoms of raisin toxicity can be severe and can lead to kidney failure, which can be fatal. By being careful about what you feed your dog, you can help to keep them healthy and safe.

Remember, when it comes to your furry friend’s health, it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

Are Roses Toxic to Dogs

Why Are Grapes Toxic to Dogs

Leave a Comment