Why Are Grapes Toxic to Dogs


As a responsible pet owner, it’s important to be aware of the foods that can be dangerous for your dog🐶.

While some human foods are safe for dogs to eat in moderation, others can cause serious health problems, including toxicity and even death. One such food that dog owners need to be cautious about is grapes🍇.

You may be wondering, why are grapes toxic to dogs🐕 In this article, we’ll explore the answer to that question, as well as the symptoms of grape toxicity and what you should do if your dog ingests grapes🍇.

Why Are Grapes Toxic to Dogs

Why Are Grapes Toxic to Dogs

The exact cause of grape toxicity in dogs is still unknown, but researchers believe that it may be related to a substance found in grapes called tannins.

Tannins are a type of polyphenol that can be found in many fruits, including grapes. While tannins are generally considered safe for human consumption, they can cause serious health problems in dogs.

In some cases, even a small amount of grapes or raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs.

Symptoms of Grape Toxicity in Dogs

If your dog has ingested grapes, they may exhibit a range of symptoms, including:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Abdominal pain
  • Lethargy
  • Dehydration
  • Increased thirst and urination
  • Bad breath
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Kidney failure

If your dog exhibits any of these symptoms after eating grapes or raisins, it’s important to seek veterinary attention immediately.

Even if your dog appears to be fine after ingesting grapes, it’s still a good idea to monitor them closely for any signs of illness.

What Should You Do if Your Dog Eats Grapes

Why Are Grapes Toxic to Dogs

If your dog has eaten grapes or raisins, it’s important to act quickly. The first step is to call your veterinarian or a pet poison control hotline for guidance.

Depending on the amount of grapes your dog has eaten and the severity of their symptoms, your veterinarian may recommend inducing vomiting or performing a gastric lavage to remove the grapes from your dog’s stomach. In some cases, your dog may need to be hospitalized and given intravenous fluids to prevent kidney failure.

Preventing Grape Toxicity in Dogs

The best way to prevent grape toxicity in dogs is to avoid giving them grapes or raisins altogether. Make sure that grapes and raisins are kept out of reach of your dog, and don’t leave them lying around where your dog can get to them.

If you have a grape vine in your yard, make sure that your dog can’t access it. If you’re unsure whether a particular food is safe for your dog to eat, it’s always best to err on the side of caution and avoid giving it to them.


Can all dogs get sick from eating grapes?

Yes, any dog can get sick from eating grapes, regardless of breed or size.

How many grapes does it take to make a dog sick?

It’s not clear how many grapes it takes to make a dog sick, as the toxicity can vary depending on the individual dog. In general, even a small amount of grapes or raisins can be dangerous for dogs.

Are all types of grapes toxic to dogs?

Yes, all types of grapes, including red, green, and black grapes, as well as raisins, can be toxic to dogs.

Are Mushrooms Toxic to Dogs

Are Roses Toxic to Dogs

Leave a Comment